Skip to main content

set goalz make moneyyyyy

(scratch the making money part, I mean who are we really kidding)

I've been thinking a lot about goals for my 24th year. If there's ANYTHING this rough, rough, but rewarding year has taught me, it's the importance of taking care of myself and prioritizing the activities and people that make me the happiest and best me. I was reading one of those buzzfeed blog list things that are always floating around facebook and it was a list of things all women should have before they turn 25. Aside from the usuals (a little black dress in the closet, an idea of what they want from a relationship, a steady income, blah blah blah), it said that every young woman should have a HOBBY. Sounds easy, right? Well here's where it gets hard. A hobby that does NOT INCLUDE: drinking, shopping, working out, or helping other people. Yep.
I'm willing to bet that every single one of my friends reading this is going "well what the heck else is there to do??" It sounds SO superficial, but it actually got me thinking about the importance of doing things for ME. Things that help me to grow and find fulfillment for MYSELF. It's SO easy to get caught up in just the daily survival, turning my brain off as soon as I get home from the school so that I don't go absolutely insane, and staving off sleep deprivation. But living for survival sin't really living, I don't think. Survival does not = living. I don't know about y'all, but I want to LIVE. (A wise person once said "Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but about the moments that take our breath away." Ever heard it? lolz lolz lolz)

So here are my goals for year 24. (some are personal, some are professional, some are just random life goals):
1. learn how to golf 
2. start recycling (dear MN friends, this may seem stupid to you, but we don't recycle yet in Mississippi so we have to actually make an effort to do this! My roommates and I plan on recycling at our house and bringing our recycling to one of the nearby recycling plants--since it can't be picked up....and I'm going to start teaching it and implementing it in my classroom as well).
3. Start my masters. This is already set, but it will definitely be one of my priorities this year, if not a goal.
4. Cook and eat healthy foods. Try new foods! Enjoy the process and art of cooking (this could be a hobby!).
5. Be crafty. Make things that aren't just for school (and things that are for school).
6. READ. Read for fun and read to become a better teacher.
7. Teach my students how to communicate their emotions and different strategies for coping.
8. Have a thorough, comprehensive, integrated morning meeting with community building and activities for social and emotional development.
9. Use music in my classroom.
10. Set a precedent of soft voices in my classroom, leading by example. (This way I don't lose my voice).
11. Sing in a church choir.
12. Get more involved in the local community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE