Skip to main content

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms.
So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class...

....DRUMROLL PLEASE.....

The mood-o-meter!!

Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online:

Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum. 
Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc.
Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc.
Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc.
Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc.

In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing when you're experiencing the mood/emotion, how we can help someone, and a healthy way to cope. We'll do some coloring activities, show some faces of emotions, and practice using our own mood meter.

Here are the faces I'll use for week one to introduce the basics of the mood meter:
ANGRY


EXCITED

HAPPY

\
SAD


And here is a picture of the mood meters I made for my classroom and my fellow first grade teacher:
Ultimately, I want my students to be able to walk into the room, find their name, and place it on the mood meter to express how he/she is feeling at any given time/in the morning/that day.

Some coping techniques I'm considering for when they're feeling negative emotions and need to take a break:
- getting crayons of the color they're feeling and drawing a picture to express how they're feeling
-getting fabric pieces and building a picture with the coordinating color to express how they're feeling

These are hands-on ways for them to take out any anger/frustration and also distract them from the situation that is causing the emotion. It also gives them another way to communicate their feelings to me or any other teacher/adult.

Fabric Feelings Boxes
-when a student recognize that he/she needs to take a break due to negative actions/feelings, they will be able to be the color that describes their mood and use these fabric strips on the carpet to express their emotions (either by making a picture, squeezing and stretching them, or throwing them around  a little to get the stress out).
-I plan to write different emotions on the outside of the box in sharpie as we learn new words to describes our moods/feelings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE