Skip to main content

"The further you travel, the smaller the world becomes."

Well isn't THIS the truth.

Anyways. About two weeks ago, a group of five friends and I took a 10 day backpacking trip of Europe. To sum it up, we went from Rome to Portugal to Spain to the Czech Republic. We visited the cities of Lisbon, Seville, Barcelona and Prague. It was incredible. It was 10 straight days LIFE LESSONS, tests of PATIENCE, and adventures.

Here's a little picture summary of the trip:

The group, camped out at the train station in Rome, waiting to go to the airport.


Night one of our trip: Sleeping in the Rome airport.
Fun Fact: Airports are, in fact, NOT fun to sleep in. Especially when all you packed is one backpack, no blankets, no pillows, and no mattresses.
An even MORE fun fact: The Rome airport is cold, especially in October, and especially at night.

The next morning, we flew to Lisbon, Portugal!

Enjoying the beautiful sunset in Lisbon. (Not posed or anything.)

The girls (Mandi, Teagan, me, Allison) walking along the water in Lisbon on our first night!

We had lunch in the oldest brewery in Lisbon, which, FUN FACT, used to be a monestary! (AWESOME, I LOVE MONKS AND NUNS) The beer was good, but dark. But it was the oldest beer in Lisbon...had to have it, right? The food was INCREDIBLE. And EXPENSIVE.
When in Portugal, thought, right?

The next day, we took the tram (yeah, like real-life yellow tram from the movies) to Alfama, the oldest and most beautiful part of Lisbon. We literally spent the whole day just wandering around Alfama.

Alfama is the only part of the city that survived the earthquake in the 1700s, so all of the old buildings, homes and churches are traditional and preserved.

We climbed up to the Castel San Jorge, which used to be a fortress for the city, and enjoyed beautiful views of the city of Lisbon.

The residential area of Alfama. Really quaint.


Abbiamo mangiato vicino al mare. It was nice. Vegetarian option consisted of: lettuce salad, bread, and cheese platter. Good thing I'm not picky....and I'm not gonna pretend I wanted to eat the fresh (basically still alive) grilled fish that my friends ate. Nope, I was happy with the salad. But glad that they tried the fish that came from Portuguese waters. Definitely an experience.

THEN WE TOOK A NIGHT BUS TO SEVILLE, SPAIN.

We walked along the river in Seville.


Climbed the Torre de Oro and enjoyed the views.

Visited the Catedral (the largest cathedral in the country).

Admired the Catedral (for hours. seriously).

Visited the Reales Alcazares, the summer home of the royal family, so basically a huge palace with beautiful gardens with over 200 species. Fun Fact: In Portugal and Spain, peacocks just walk around. WAY COOL.
Also cats. They're everywhere.

THEN WE FLEW TO BARCELONA.
And that's where I broke my camera (Yeah.).
SOOO. Pictures of that and Prague to come later, when I get pics from my beautiful roommate's camera.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE